Science city, Kolkata Overview
One of its kind in India, the Science city was inaugurated on 1st July 1997. It is a major attraction for the residents of Kolkata as well as for the people visiting Kolkata. It is one of the finest and the largest science museums in the world and provides a fun way of learning science. Under the National Council of Science Museums, the Science City in Kolkata is the largest science centre in the entire Indian Subcontinent. It is a governmental organisation under the Ministry of Culture and the main motto of the Science City was the popularisation of science. It is located at the crossing of the EM Bypass and the JBS Halder Avenue in Kolkata. The science city is a perfect blend of education with fun. There is a special section dedicated to the aquatic world wherein you can learn every minute detail about the various fishes and insects in the aquatic world. Some of the most exotic fishes can be seen in these aquariums. All in all, science city is going to offer you a phenomenal experience with your friends and family and totally make your holiday worth it.
The ground floor of the science city comprises of some optical illusions which are very interesting to look at. It is always so much fun to watch yourself taking a variety of shapes in front of the optical mirrors. The city is located on the crossing of Eastern Bypass and Park Circus at Kolkata and should be a sure shot stop on your trip to Kolkata. It is a favourite amongst kids as well as adults. Tornado, the energy ball, ocean waves and quicksand are a must watch. Time Machine is a common favourite amongst all the visitors. It gives one the opportunity to travel to outer space from where you can travel back in time and enter the age of dinosaurs by being a part of the artificial Jurassic Park. You can try the ropeway as well and get a bird's eye view of the city.
Major Attractions in the Science City
1. Dynamotion Hall: It provides interactive and hands-on exhibits on a variety of science topics encouraging the visitors to enjoy the underlying scientific principles including-
Illusions - This permanent exhibition showcases a world of illusion with interactive exhibits and discovers how motion and placement make a difference in the visual perception.
Powers of ten - 43 exhibits show the biggest of the universe by zooming in and out in the order of ten.
Freshwater aquarium - 26 tanks comprising of a variety of freshwater fishes.
Live butterfly enclave - A colony of live butterflies are hatched here and screening of a film Rang BahariPrajapati on the life cycle of a butterfly.
Science on a sphere - The spherical projection system created by NOAA. One show is of 30 minutes duration and takes place for 70 people at a time.
2. Earth Exploration Hall: This earth exploration hall was inaugurated by Ambika Soni, the then Union Minister for Culture, India on 6th December 2008. A permanent exhibition on earth is located in a two-storied semi-circular building displaying the details of the southern hemisphere on the ground floor and northern hemisphere on the first floor. The vast earth globe is sliced from the centre of the hall into 12 segments. Also, all the essential features of every section including the geography, land, people, flora, fauna and other natural phenomena on the face of Earth have been showcased with the help of the modern day technologies including multimedia, video walls, panoramic videos, computer kiosks and tilting tables.
3. Space Odyssey: It comprises of a space theatre which consists of Helios Star Ball planetarium which is given support by 150 special effect projectors and a large format film projection system present in a 23-meter diameter dome with seating arrangements which can accommodate as many as 360 people shows on sciences. The 40-minute duration Atrovision film named 'Adventures in Wild California' is screening since June 2013.
A show based on stereo back projection system where visitors experience 3D effect by Polaroid spectacles in a 3D vision theatre.
There are 35 exhibits based on reflection of light showcasing the "mirror magic".
30-seater motion simulator provides virtual experience of space flight or journey into unknown world sitting in a casual manoeuvred by hydraulic motion control system- time machine
4. Maritime Centre: This showcases the maritime history of India, its artefacts, dioramas and interactive exhibits on shipping as well as navigation systems. An unmanned quiz corner is present as well.
5. Science Park: It provides a welcoming environment where you can learn about plants, animals and other objects in the natural surroundings which you otherwise fail to notice. Another interesting fact about the exhibits showcased here is that they have been engineered in such a way that they can tolerate any weather. Science Park is also considered as a vital part of all the centres of NCSM and consists of numerous exhibits including monorail cycle, butterfly nurse, musical fountain, gravity coaster, road train, cable cars and a live maze surrounded by greenery all over.
6. Science Exploration Hall: This new building which covers an area of 5400 square metres was opened in 2016 with the latest infrastructure comprising of four sections namely-
A gallery of emerging technologies
A dark ride- Evolution of life
360-degree projection- Panorama on human evolution
Gallery depicting science and technology heritage of India
Science City Timings and Entry Fee
The Science City in Kolkata remains open from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM on all days of the week. (Except holi)
A special discount is offered to groups having more than 50 students in the group.
No extra charges are applicable on photography or videography.
Entry fee per person- INR 50
Space theatre- INR 60
Evolution Park- INR 10
3D theatre- INR 30
Time Machine- INR 20
Road Train- INR 15
Cable Car- INR 30
Mono Cycle- INR 15
Caterpillar- INR 10
Gravity Coaster- INR 30
Top Hotels near Science city
Find Cheap Hotels
View All Hotels near Science city
OYO 10167 Salt Lake City
6 kms away
Staring from INR 1,457
OYO 10110 Gallivaant Guest House
6 kms away
Staring from INR 1,321
OYO 10246 New Silver INN
2 kms away
Staring from INR 1,287
How to Reach Science city
You can travel to Science City through the local buses, mini buses and taxis which are easily available from all the major parts of the city. You can also take the local train from Sealdah and get down at the Bindhan Nagar station. From the metro station, you can hire an auto rickshaw or taxi.
Kolkata Tour Packages
Verdant Kolkata | 3 Days 2 Nights
Staring from Rs. 3,800
Incredible Kolkata | 4 Days 3 Nights
Staring from Rs. 7,400
The Delightful Kolkata | 5 Days 4 Nights
Staring from Rs. 7,700
Reviews about Science city
No Reviews Yet
Science City, Kolkata
Science City is located at the crossing of Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and Park Circus at Kolkata. Your tour to Kolkata would surely bring you to this science center. If you are traveling with your kids, then a visit to this place is a must.
The visiting hours at this museum is from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on all days. But a morning visit is preferred. You need to pay an admission Fee of Rs.15/- general, Rs.30 for Space Theatre and Rs.10/- for Time Machine. Group of 50 students are offered a special discount at science city, Kolkata. No extra charges are levied on photography or videography.
The Science City, Kolkata is a favorite among children and adults alike. The Energy Ball, Tornado, Ocean Waves, Quick Sand are a must watch. The Ground Floor of the science city, Kolkata includes some optical illusions. It is fun to watch yourself taking numerous shapes in front of the optical mirrors.
From the world of fun to education- the science city, Kolkata has many things to offer. You can gain knowledge about the aquatic world of fishes and insects from a special section dedicated to the aquatic world. The aquariums display some of the world's most exotic fishes.
The adrenalin pumping Time Machine is a favorite among the thrill seekers. This offers a unique opportunity to travel to the outer space. From outer space you can travel back time and enter the age of dinosaurs in the artificial Jurassic Park.
You can even try the ropeway and get a bird's eye view of the city. The Science City, Kolkata is the ideal holiday gateway for your family and young friends. Experience the fairy tale world here. You can even satisfy your gastronomical needs at the food joints located inside the Science City Campus.
List of other Top Museums and Art Galleries
Science City is located at the crossing of Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and Park Circus at Kolkata.
The visiting hours at this museum is from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on all days.
The Science City, Kolkata is a favorite among children and adults alike. The Energy Ball, Tornado, Ocean Waves, Quick Sand are a must watch.
Did You Know
The Ground Floor of the science city, Kolkata includes some optical illusions. It is fun to watch yourself taking numerous shapes in front of the optical mirrors.
Satisfy your gastronomical needs at the food joints located inside the Science City Campus.